Skirting and Taping

I decided to not flash the underside until it is ready to be moved again.  I’m feeling a little burned out and that seemed like one of the few steps I could get away with skipping.


Turnbuckle from trailer frame to cement pad/rebar.  There are 2 on each end.

We made the skirting frame so it could be unscrewed in sections and moved with the house, should it ever be relocated or sold.  The bottom of the frame is pressure treated and just skims the concrete pad and the top is screwed into the floor joists.


I cut more of the 3″ foam insulation to fit in the studs.  This foam job was a piece of cake compared to the house!


I found some cheap camp-grade tongue-and-groove siding, painted it the color of the trim, mitered the corners, and screwed it to the skirting frame.  We left 2 openings on the backside for access panels.  The openings are 2 x 3′.  I made 2 insulated covers that sit within the openings and secure with hooks and eyes.  I still need to spray foam any gaps on the inside to keep the wind out.  I hope I don’t get any “swirl” nests under there!



New miter saw stand I got for a steal at $36!


I added a filler strip above the last tongue-and-groove board and then screwed on a 1 x 4″ trim board below my house siding.  I beveled the top of the trim board about 30 degrees to keep the rain from pooling on it.


I am so, so, so sick of mud.


We started taping 2 weeks ago.  I covered the screws and taped the inside corners, while dad did all of the other seams and corner bead.  Covering the screws was very easy.  I put 4 coats on them.  The corners were challenging.  I finally got the hang of it by the time I got to the last corner.  Then I had to learn how to mud over the tape and, sadly, I have to say, I never got the hang of this.  The corners are now a mess and will need much sanding and touch-ups.  Taping the loft in the bathroom was a whole new nightmare with gobs of mud falling all over me.

Cracking aside, I can see why most tiny house builders do not use drywall…  I never thought about what is actually behind the paint on a wall, I just thought of it as one smooth continuous surface.  It is a very long and intricate process to hide the seams.  Luckily, dad used to be a professional drywaller and assures me he can fix anything I’ve messed up.









Don’t judge me.


We finally set up staging to help with the higher areas.  It’s a pain to maneuver in such a small space but hopefully we’ll be done with it soon.  We hope to get the final coats of mud on this week and start sanding, then on to painting.


I have lights!